[HECnet] RSX-11 booted!

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun May 25 14:53:21 PDT 2014

On Sun, 25 May 2014, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Heh... Well, you need to know the protection system in RSX...

Yeah.   I'm skimming the Manager's guide (which doesn't actually have the commands.   Seriously.   There are blank spaces where the command should be)

File protection is totally unrelated to the terminal privilege status. File protection comes in four categories.
System - Any access from a group <=10 (octal)
Owner - Should be obvious
Group - Matching group but not member
World - Everybody else

So, in your case, either having a UIC of [131,54] or any system UIC should have done it. Maybe any member of 131 as well.
[137,10] means you'll fall under the WORLD mask.

Ahhhhhhh.   That makes much more sense, thanks!

The terminal privilege status on the other hand allows you to change your terminal UIC to anything you want. If you are unprivileged, you cannot change your UIC.

Ahhhhhhhh.   I was thinking of it in VMS terms.

And then, of course, tasks can be installed to run under another UIC than your terminal UIC...
But installing tasks also requires that your terminal is privileged...

Good thing I've not managed to make the console unprivileged. ;)

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects