[HECnet] RSTS/E is really picky

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue May 20 16:31:43 PDT 2014

On Tue, 20 May 2014, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

The disk is 1048778 blocks.   I created a 512M image and copied it bit-for-bit to the disk.   I think i'll just go SYSGEN 4.8 and wait for my cleaning tapes to get RSTS/E working.

How about copying the image back off, to see if the disk controller mangled it?

I'll do that once RSX is up so I don't have to dismantle the system again. ;)

The message you quoted says that the content of block 1 is invalid (the pack label).   Judging by the code, what it found is 0143161 rather than a valid PCS.

Interesting.   I wonder how its getting mangled.   The disk size IS changing between copy and creation, though. (Because both are different...apparently unavoidable due to 1000 versus 1024k.)

I wonder if your partitioning disk controller is misbehaving.

Possible...but RT-11 and RSX-11 are fine with it.   They're a bit less picky though.   VMS didn't seem too picky, either.

BTW, sufficiently recent versions of RSTS (including the one you have, given that message) should handle a 2 GB disk directly (at DCS=64).   That way you don   t need to mess with partitions.

I didn't have a tape drive at the time...so I would've needed to copy a 2G image at 10Mbit to a disk that wouldn't show up as 2G. (That drive then failed)

I'll just wait for the cleaning tape.

	paul

--
Cory Smelosky