[HECnet] RSTS/E under simh

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu May 15 22:41:49 PDT 2014

On Thu, 15 May 2014, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

On May 15, 2014, at 5:34 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On Thu, 15 May 2014, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

First I need to find the exact size of the drive so I can set an RAUSER to it.   I can then install RSTS/E *IF* I can get SIMH to boot and install from the RSTS/E V10.1 tape (which I can't get it to do).

You mean you have a real drive, and you want to copy it to a disk image file and configure that as an RA file of user-specified size?   That will work fine.   RSTS can handle disks of any size up to a limit (the RP07 is somewhat below that limit, I   d have to dig a bit to find the actual number).   If you can just dd the disk to a file, that file should serve.

I want to copy an image to a real drive.

Alternatively, you can always use a larger disk so long as you don   t cross a power of two.   RSTS addresses disks by    disk clusters    which are 16 bit numbers, and the file system layout starts from a given disk cluster size.   So if you have a pack with 70k sectors, you can drop it into another pack of 90k sectors     but not in one of 130k sectors because that one has a DCS double that of the original.

The problem is I have NO IDEA just how big this drive is.   Systems tend to disagree about its size...I suppose I can sacrifice the RZ23 for this.

Find yourself a copy of my utility    rstsflx    and ask it to ident the image.   It will tell you the file system information.   That will tell you what sort of disk it can go onto.

I need the /physical/ drive size! Different systems give me different sizes.

If it doesn   t give the whole answer, ask some more and I   ll dig deeper to find the things you need to look at.   Oh yes, the first item would be the file size of file [0,1]satt.sys.

	paul

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff