[HECnet] TOPS-10/20 copyright status

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sat Nov 15 14:35:49 PST 2014

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Unfortunately I do not have much details. I was at the Living Computer Museum and talked with RIch Alderson, who used to work at XKL. And he showed me a newer generation router from XKL, opened up, at LCM. And they use a PDP-10 on a chip, and it was actually running TOPS-20, and I could play around at the EXEC level in there.

Very, very interesting!

But for normal usage, customers would just see this as a router from XKL, with a command interface, in addition to SNMP. No way they would ever know that it's actually TOPS-20 in there.

Huh.   Dave and I'll need to pull some strings...;)

I do not know if they use this same setup in all their products, or just some. And I don't remember exactly what product LCM at on display. But I can check that up next week, as I am in Seattle then.

Please do!   I am very interested!

See if they've gotten anywhere with getting the rights to release the CompuServe Monitor source, too.

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects