[HECnet] TOPS-10/20 copyright status

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Fri Nov 14 17:09:49 PST 2014

On Nov 14, 2014, at 7:47 PM, <Paul_Koning at Dell.com> <Paul_Koning at Dell.com> wrote:

On Nov 14, 2014, at 7:43 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

Evening,

What IS the current copyright status on TOPS-10/20?   Who owns it? I assume it's still copyrighted I assume...and I doubt the current copyright owner would bother to enforce their rights to it.

If it was copyrighted originally, that copyright is certainly still valid.   Anything that didn   t expire prior to the last set of changes will remain valid for decades, thanks to the Mickey Mouse Protection Act.

Interesting question who owns it.   Did HP get that piece of DEC?

If I remember correctly they did not. They only got VMS. The PDP OSes went elsewhere.

-brian