[HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Wed Apr 15 03:43:20 PDT 2015

Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

>On 2015-04-15 06:58, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>> I have never had any luck at all transferring files from Linux to RSX.
>>>
>>> That said, what do you see if you do a DSP <file> under RSX?
>>
>>    Just got back from road trip #1, only have a moment, will get back to
>> this in the morning.  Here is the DSP output:
>>
>> $ dsp forth.mac
>>
>> DU:[10,1]FORTH.MAC;1
>>                          Size:    139./144.       Created: 15-APR-2015 00:54
>>                          Owner:   [001,010]       Revised: 15-APR-2015 00:55
>>                          File ID: (5601,10,0)     Expires: <none_specified>
>>    File protection:      System:RWED, Owner:RWED, Group:RWED, World:R
>>    File organization:    Sequential
>>    File attributes:      Allocation=144, Extend=0
>>    Record format:        Stream, maximum 255 bytes
>>    Record attributes:    Carriage return
>
>Cool. So the first, and most obvious, problem, is that the file is
>indeed in stream format. So no ordinary RSX tool will touch it with a
>five foot pole...

Really?  So, we surely HAVE come a long way baby with VMS RMS!  Still, any
stream format is a ridiculously lame way to differentiate records IMHO.

>Had you been pulling it from Linux to RSX, and initiated to transfer
>from the RSX side, you can tell NFT exactly what format you want for the
>file on the local side, when the remote side is a stream format file.
>Not sure Linux can do that if you do the transfer from the Linux side.
>
>My next suggestion is to read up on RMSCNV, on how to convert the file.
>I can never remember exactly how to use it, so I have to read every time
>I want to, but it can convert the file to another format for you.

I can't comment there either; however, if VMS CONVERT help is needed, I'm
available.

And now, back to RMS CDC.
--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG