[HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 15 09:10:09 PDT 2015

On 04/15/2015 12:06 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>> Install TCP/IP on your RSX system, and FTP directly between them
>>> instead? (Assuming you have a recent 11M-PLUS system).
>>
>>    I would like to, but this machine is getting shut down within the
>> hour, and I've not yet even read the docs for TCP/IP.
>>
>>    It's recent enough I think; it's an 11/44 with 1MW of RAM, plenty of
>> disk (RA92) running -Plus v4.6.  Only baseline, though, not sysgenned.
>
> Ok. I assume you already have DECnet installed. Installing TCP/IP should
> actually be pretty simple and straight forward. Download the disk or
> tape - MIM::US:[FTP]. Extract the information (atleast if from tape),
> run IPGEN, and then you just need to invoke the startup scripts at boot,
> and probably config a few things in a couple of files to be up and
> running. It really should not be that hard. And of course, I can answer
> questions as well... :-)

  Ok.  Thank you Johnny.  I will see if I can do that before I start
packing up.

  Part of my problem here is that I am taking quite a lot of stuff to
the museum where VCF-East is being held, a lot of stuff not related to
my exhibit, and the PDP-11/44 is right in the middle of the part of the
room where those racks have to roll through...so it must be shut down
and disconnected long before it will actually go onto the truck.  I will
try to figure out a way around that to give me more time.