[HECnet] "illegal record size" in RSX?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Apr 15 09:42:02 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-15 18:36, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 04/15/2015 12:34 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>>     Any idea of why I might get "access control rejected" when trying to
>>> get a directory of MIM::US:[FTP] from RSX, but not from VMS?  I probably
>>> have something incorrectly configured in nft.
>>
>> My guess would be that you have not enabled proxy on your RSX system,
>> but have on VMS.
>> Since RSX do not have a default DECnet account like VMS do, I instead
>> have a general proxy setup where anyone unknown will be proxyed as
>> guest, but it does require that the connection request to MIM have
>> outgoing proxy enabled.
>
>    Ok, that makes sense, thanks for the pointer.  I will look that up and
> get it configured.
>
>    While you're there, do you have a suggestion for the "path of least
> resistance" to install F77 and BP2 on this machine?  I have the
> trailing-edge dists as .tpc files.

It will be hard to use the TPC files directly. Easiest is if you have
some emulator around on which you can mount those tape images.

Inside RSX there is a tool and subsystem called VCP and VF:, which you
use to handle virtual tapes which maps to files on a disk. Use that to
copy the "physical" tape to a virtual tape inside RSX, and then you can
move that file around between systems using DECnet or TCP/IP.