[HECnet] VCF East

Steve Davidson steve at davidson.net
Thu Apr 23 18:17:29 PDT 2015

All,

For those who did not attend VCF East you missed a great time!  On
Saturday, the keynote speaker was none other than Brian Kernighan. You
really missed a treat - right Dave!

Next year, I plan to bring even more stuff (not nearly as much as Dave
did) but more than this year.  Dave's island of equipment included the
following:

PDP-8
PDP-11/34
PDP-11/44
DECserver-200
multiple terminals
I'm sure I have forgotten something...

I added:

VAXstation 4000/60
DEChub-90 backplane with a DECserver-90TL and a 16-port DEChub
VT320
a gateway (actually bridge) machine to connect to HECnet only the link
was pathetic

Brian (aka VAXman) added:

VAXstation 4000/30 (aka VLC)

In addition to the "island" Dave had other "exhibits" that I will defer
to Dave for discussion.

Next year we NEED more stuff!  This is the official challenge to anyone
on the East coast.  We want to see many more of you.  If is is DEC it is
needed.

I would also like to personally add my thanks to Dave and Brian for
making this such a treat.  Dave is nuts (in a good way) and very
generous.  Brian was there for me when my brain could not content with
the sheer volume of noise - helping me to configure the DECservers and
dealing with my fat fingering the keyboard and the license management
facility (LMF).   For a while we were Frick and Frack but we managed to
get it together.  Thanks guys!

-Steve