[HECnet] VCF East

Steve Davidson steve at davidson.net
Thu Apr 23 19:28:23 PDT 2015

AGENA:: (19.11) is part of the STARS:: cluster.  All of the nodes have
the names of stars.  Ask Dave (or Brian) what the message from
SYLOGIN.COM said...  :-)

The DECserver-90TL was brought up by Brian and myself.  The
DECserver-200 was brought up by Dave and myself after Dave was able to
do a hardware reset on the unit.  Prior to that it was VERY confused.
We spent a great deal of time trying to get files off the USB stick, in
fact much more time than anything else.  The ISL configuration was easy
(as usual with DEC).  The DECserver-90TL came right up - no issues.
Everything was loaded from AGENA::.  Brian's machine was a "hot" backup
should we have needed it.  The beauty of the 90TL was not only LAT but
telnet.  Unfortunately we did not have time to make use of it.

Also...  I did manage to get our wireless link up long enough for both
Dave and I to VMS/Phone Fred Coffee in Ohio.  The MACbook did the best
job holding the link.  Far better than the Linux or Windows system could
manage.  Next year it will be a dedicated NetBSD platform just like what
I use in my DEClab to support the bridge.  I would like to experiment
with using LAT just like we do today between my network and the rest of
the backbone.  If the link is robust enough then MOM/MOP might also be a
possibility.  Imagine... DECservers be loaded "remotely"!

-Steve