[HECnet] VCF East

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Fri Apr 24 03:30:21 PDT 2015

Steve Davidson <steve at davidson.net> writes:

>On 04/23/2015 09:34 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

>>> Next year let me know, I've got a bridge sitting on a gigabit pipe
>>> doing nothing.
>>
>> I don't think that will help, unless that pipe happens to have one end
>> somewhere on the US east coast I suspect...
>>
>> Update itself sits on even more bandwidth. Not helping either...
>>
>>     Johnny
>>
>The issues were local to the VCF East site.  Everyone had issues with
>it.  Dave is working this one for next year.  The other end is my site
>with plenty of bandwidth and even more coming.  It will be a 100 megs
>down / 40 megs up shortly.

I have other passions outside of computing too.  One is music.  For more
than a decade, I've been hosting the Aural Moon Progressive Rock internet
radio site and doing many/most of the technical efforts to keep it going.
My title there is: Janitorial Services and Restroom Supplies; as I keep
it all neat and tidy, and free of the script kiddies and forum SPAMmers.

Anyway, a Philadelphia FM DJ has a show which Aural Moon rebroadcasts on
Saturday evenings and replays on Tuesday.  He has also, as an Aural Moon
exclusive, done live concert feeds.  For this, I've contacted the local
cable internet providers and have had cable internet drops installed for
the duration of these events -- typically, weekends.  With a little bit
of preparation, I've had sufficient bandwidth via these carriers for the
up-feed to Aural Moon.  The installation and fee for the last three-day
event's internet was less then $100!!!  I have a 4U portable rack with a
Cisco router, APC UPS and sundry other bits I've needed for doing remote
site live gigs.  Think about it!

I don't know who is providing internet to InfoAge but I've found it to
be slow and unreliable; at least, the wireless on the campus seems to
be.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG