[HECnet] TOPS-10 KS10 Ethernet Monitor

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Sun Apr 26 13:22:35 PDT 2015

From: Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>

>I'm curious on exactly how a DEUNA/DELUA works in a KS-10. Does anyone
>know? Does it do 8-bit-byte DMA to the 18-bit memory, leaving the top
>two bits alone. Or does it only work if it do word DMA (would be
>strange, as the controller itself can send and receive odd byte length
>ethernet packets).

This is what the BLTBU and BLTUB instructions are for in the later microcode
(converting between sensible PDP-10 memory and the mishmash you get as a
result of DMA through the UBA to a 16-bit peripheral).  Since a DELUA is
not 18-bit-data-aware, it ignores the high two bits of each 18-bit halfword
when doing DMA.

>Is there some potential problem with regards to a PDP-11, which have two
>parity bits for data, which are used for actual data on a KS? (If I
>remember right.)

IIRC you're OK as long as you don't set those bits in memory that the DELUA
will read.  I feel like the Unibus documentation changed at some point,
between whether PA/PB are actual parity bits (I think that's what the very
early doc said), vs. being parity *error* bits (and I think PB isn't even
really used -- PA asserted means there's been a parity error detected in the
current DATI/DATIP).  I could be wrong about all of this.

John Wilson
D Bit