[HECnet] VMS question

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Aug 10 06:23:59 PDT 2015

On 2015-08-10 15:18, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 08/10/2015 09:13 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> I've way rusty on VMS, so I figured someone here can probably give me an
>> answer way faster than I can figure it out myself.
>>
>> I brought SIGGE:: online two days ago. (VAX 7000-720).
>
>    Very nice!!

It is indeed. With 1.25G of memory as well.

>> Started YCPIP
>> services as well. Now the disk is full. I'm guessing some logging
>> somewhere, as people are crazy about probing and poking. TELNET stopped
>> working, but I can log in fine from DECnet or LAT.
>> Can anyone tell me where logs go, and how to clean it up so I free some
>> disk.
>
>    Where the TCP/IP logs go depends on which TCP/IP implementation you're
> running.  Many system logs go to SYSTEM's home directory,
> sys$sysroot:[sysgmgr].  If you do a "purge *.log" there, that's a quick
> way to free up some space in an emergency.  You're losing log data that
> way, of course, so it's a last resort, but it could get you up and running.

The standard TCPIP from DEC. I forgot to say that it's running OVMS 7.3.

$ tcpip
TCPIP> sho ver

   Compaq TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS VAX Version V5.1
   on a VAX 7000-720 running OpenVMS V7.3

TCPIP>

I'll check if there are logs to purge. I'm not that interested in the
log data.

I have plenty on MIM where I can see what the stupid script kiddies are
doing.
(The ultimate irony is the scripts that probe telnet, which just hang
when they connect to RSX, as RSX do not prompt for any username. RSX
gives you an MCR prompt when logged out, and you can give any command.
And my telnet daemon actually gives you instructions on how to log in to
the machine, including a username and password, and the scripts all fail
at giving the script kiddie an account on the machine for the simple
fact that it don't heave like Unix, and noone ever sees my welcome
message. :-) )