[HECnet] VMS question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Aug 10 07:50:48 PDT 2015

On 08/10/2015 10:35 AM, Hans Vlems wrote:
> What I can remember of. 6000 model 4000 was that it had a fast XMI
> bus that held cpu's, memory, fast controllers (ci and the kdm‎) and
> connected to the BI bus(ses) that held the slower controllers. The
> 7000 didn't have that? I know that the 7000 was "alpha ready", which
> I think was a box swap.

  There's really no commonality between the 6000 and the 7000; they are
very different machines in nearly every way.

  The 7000's processor/memory interconnect is LSB ("LaserBus").  LSB
"nodes" are either processors, memory, or an LSB<->XMI bridge.  The
latter connects via a ribbon cable to an XMI card cage in the bottom of
the 7000 chassis, for I/O controllers.

  The Alpha "version" of that machine is the 8400.  The processor/memory
interconnect is TLSB ("TurboLaserBus"), and an LSB-based VAX can be
in-cabinet upgraded to a TLSB-based Alpha system.