[HECnet] VMS question

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Mon Aug 10 07:55:00 PDT 2015

Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

>Well, if I wanted then, even easier is to just set a version limit on=20
>the files. :-)

Both your solution (version limits) and the periodic batch job purge will
not stop the unnecessary log file I/O, and both add to disk I/O and file
system activity.  If this is a known problem with V5.1 and it's fixed in
V5.3, I'd suggest that you obtain that patch/version/eco and install it.
I, personally, loathe solutions to problems that elicit other problems or
increase resource loads.

FYI, eventually, your version limit solution will require intervention as
you inevitably crash and burn when you hit ;32,767.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG