[HECnet] VMS question

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Aug 10 07:58:34 PDT 2015

On 2015-08-10 16:35, Hans Vlems wrote:
> A long time ago I replaced an 11/750 with an 8650. Users were initially ecstatic but soon grumbled that they lost several 20 min coffee breaks because even the slowest transaction on the 8650 was completed under 2 minutes.

:-)

> What I can remember of. 6000 model 4000 was that it had a fast XMI bus that held cpu's, memory, fast controllers (ci and the kdm‎) and connected to the BI bus(ses) that held the slower controllers.
> The 7000 didn't have that? I know that the 7000 was "alpha ready", which I think was a box swap.

It's similar, but laid out differently inside. The CPU and memory are on
a but which I thinkg is called the laser bus. You then have XMI and
possibly VAXBI as well.
I'm trying to remember, but I think both CI and Ethernet sits on XMI,
but it might be that they also sits on VAXBI, which sits on XMI...

	Johnny