[HECnet] VMS question

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Aug 10 08:20:17 PDT 2015

On 2015-08-10 17:15, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>>     Well THAT was dumb.  I hope someone got nicely beaten up for doing
>>> that.
>>
>> If you only knew all the stuff that we've had to throw over the years.
>> None of it lightly, but we just do not have enough room to save
>> everything that we've collected over the years.
>> It all saddens me, but at the same time, I can't see that we could have
>> done anything differently.
>
>    Ugh, I'm sorry you had to face that situation.  I don't know what I'd
> do aside from go get drunk.

Yeah... :-(
Thinking back always makes me slightly sick. Like the time we dumped
close to 10 SA600 racks full of RA90 drives...

>> When choosing between what to keep and what
>> to throw, a DEC 7000 is pretty low on the list. It's basically the first
>> generation Alpha. There are way sexier Alphas to be found.
>
>    Hmm, maybe.  But those LSB machines are pretty cool.

Agreed. We kept the VAX 7000. I think it might have had -600 CPUs when
we got it, but we upgraded them to -700. We might have a single -800 CPU
that we could get (was offered to us several years ago), but it's also
fun to run SMP... Now, if someone were to offer us two -800 CPUs...
Drool... :-)