[HECnet] Dynammic IP for LEGATO?

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Wed Aug 26 07:06:00 PDT 2015

  I'm going to need to change my ISP in a month or two and a static IP is
going to add about $30-$35/month to the cost.  I've decided that dDNS will
suffice for all the stuff I'm currently doing and it's not really worth it,
except maybe Multinet DECnet links to LEGATO.  I also looked into using a
VPN provider to establish a static IP gateway that's automatically routed to
my server, but that costs almost as much and is much more hassle to
maintain.  I'm thinking about just living without static IPs anymore.

  There's about half a dozen sites currently connected to LEGATO - is
anybody going to have a problem if the IP becomes dynamic at some point?  As
with most dynamic IP situations, I don't expect that the IP address will
actually change very often (maybe once every few months), but the
possibility exists that it will.

Bob