[HECnet] SG1:: will be offline tomorrow

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Mon Aug 31 06:18:17 PDT 2015

Amusingly enough I upgraded the Internet connection at my parents place from 3G to 4G (they live in the middle of the forest, quite literally, 9km to the nearest proper town) and since they have line of sight to a base station about 800m away from the house, I'm now getting 50/20 Mbps as well with pings in the sub-20ms. Total cost (with no usage limits): 13 euros / month...

Can't complain - and it has made using HILANT and CHIMPY much more pleasant..

The only issue is that whilst we do get a public IP address, it's not static - at the moment I'm running a PPTP VPN to my hosting box in the UK and using the bridge over that, which isn't ideal but works OK-ish..

Sampsa