[HECnet] Multinet DECnet over IP?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Dec 14 06:07:11 PST 2015

I think this topic was up once before, but I can't find it right now, so
I figured I'd ask.

Do anyone have some idea/documentation on how the Multinet capsulates
DECnet traffic over IP. I seem to remember it pretended it was like
ethernet, but I'd like to have all the details.

The reason is that since my TCP/IP for RSX is now at a stage where the
basic functionality is pretty stable and good, I might try something
new. Implementing a line that uses IP for transport would be useful, and
it would also be useful if it was compatible with the Multinet
implementation. I wouldn't mind also doing something compatible with
Cisco. Anyone have the details of that one?

I could also do a very RSX specific implementation, but that would be
less useful, I think.

Anyone else feel like hacking on TCP/IP on PDP-11s? I have lots of
things that could be nice to have under RSX... ;-)