[HECnet] SC-40

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Feb 12 09:29:45 PST 2015

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Fred wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015, Johnny Billquist wrote:

You haven't loaded a different message file? You can do that in VMS,
and there is this classic april fools message file that I wouldn't be
surprised if it holds that fish message...

To my knowledge, no - whatever ships with 8.3 is what is there, although I'm
not sure how to tell.

However, at $previous_job where they ran OpenVMS in production and I
had access to DCL, the DS15 ran 8.3 and that is where I originally discovered
this easter egg.   I can't believe they would have had anything other than the
standard message file.

My IA64   OVMS 8.4 test system also has this message in the standard message file.

I wonder what facility returns status this and possibly other equally interesting status values...   :-)

Poking around a bit yields another interesting one:

WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$MESSAGE (3000)
%SYSTEM-W-REMINDER, Andy, remember to turn off the lights when you leave...

How did this diversion get injected into this discussion?

Fred, is this merely part of one of your signatures?

- Mark