[HECnet] Hard and soft links in VMS 8,3 AXP?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Thu Jan 29 14:51:45 PST 2015

Hans Vlems <hvlems at zonnet.nl> writes:

On ODS-2 you'd make this work with set file/enter.
That is if my memory isn't pulling my leg again ;(

Verzonden vanaf mijn BlackBerry 10-smartphone.
=A0 Origineel bericht =A0
Van: Sampsa Laine
Verzonden: donderdag 29 januari 2015 22:25
Aan: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Beantwoorden: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Onderwerp: [HECnet] Hard and soft links in VMS 8,3 AXP?

I've been looking everywhere for some help on how to create a link (symboli=
c or hardlink, I'm good with either) to a directory in another.

Basically, I have a bunch of files I want to share using both FAL and HTTP =
(Apache).

So let's say I have the source dir, DKA0:[FOOBAR]SOURCE.DIR and I want to m=
ake a link of that directory to APACHE$ROOT:[HTDOCS] so that APACHE$ROOT:[H=
TDOCS.SOURCE] and DKA0:[FOOBAR.SOURCE] are the same thing?

Sampsa

PS: I'm obviously on an ODS-5 system.

If APACHE$ROOT is a rooted logical with DKA0: as its disk device designation,
you can use a long standing VMS file system feature: SET FILE/ENTER.   There's
also the symlink feature which you use via SET FILE/SYMLINK.   $ HELP abounds
for both commands.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG