[HECnet] Number of nodes online a bit low?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jan 26 10:39:48 PST 2015

On 2015-01-26 19:04, G. wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:45:28 +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:

sometimes happens that you blow a local fuse at home, but it's uncommon
[...]
The main fuses in my house are 32A for each phase. I could upgrade, but

Real fuses? Here they are almost fully disappeared. Maybe there is something in
factories and such, but nothing more in private homes.

Yeah. My house is old... Real fuses... Nowadays they are all just breakers in new installations.

Automatic circuit breakers, both magnetic-thermal and differential, are the norm
(I think there is a law too that requires their use), so when you exceed your
allowed power consumption it's just a matter of going downstairs and switch back
on your home circuit (if you live in a building with many apartments, switches
must be reachable from outside your home, so they are almost always located near
the main entrance, next to mail boxes).

I wouldn't be surprised if they are mandated for new building nowadays. But for old installations, you do not have to replace the whole thing.

The "bad" new thing is that ancient switches where somewhat forgiving of short
spikes in consumption, but now that there are digital meters connected to the
switches, there is a strict 120 second grace period, and after that the meter
commands the circuit breaker to trip... And here you go in the dark. :P

:-)

There is also a "nice" LCD display that tells you that you were left in the dark
because you were using more power than what your contract allowed. :P

They did replace my meter a few years ago to a new fancy digital one that could be read and monitored remotely.