[HECnet] Number of nodes online a bit low?

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Mon Jan 26 09:27:49 PST 2015

From: Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>

I am much more nervous about the (to my view) really crappy and scary
plugs you use in the US. They actually have a fair chance of actually
exposing me to contact...

I can't argue with that.   They'd *never* be approved if they were invented
today, but we're used to being careful and people hate change.

I always figure the same thing about train crossings:   no way that would
be legal if we weren't already used to it.   It's going 60 MPH / 100 kph, has
no steering, just one headlight, the brakes take minutes to work, and the
engineer can't see cross-traffic until he's right on top of it, but don't
worry;   there's a flashing red light.   And maybe a bell.   And if you're
in town, a flimsy wooden slat.   Safe!

I had a nutty uncle in the UK who wired his house for 24 VDC (and mounted
truck taillight bulbs in all the lamps), and used US-style plugs for that.
*That's* safe enough.

John Wilson
D Bit