[HECnet] Number of nodes online a bit low?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jan 26 08:44:20 PST 2015

On 2015-01-26 16:47, G. wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:49:43 +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:

This is Europe, remember...
Normal mains are 230V, and 3-phase are 410V phase to phase. All the DEC
equipment around here are designed to run on that stuff.

Aehm, shouldn't it be 230 * SQRT(3) = 398 (rounded up to 400) or the other way
400 / SQRT(3) = 230 (slighty rounded down)? :)

You are probably right. I was trying to remember if it was 400 or 410, but for some reason my brain decided that it was 410.

Actually, if I'm not wrong, 400 volts should be just a nominal standard voltage,
and some European countries have different real voltages, but they would be
still in range because of the allowed drift (something around plus/minus 6-10%).
I think there is something about that in Wikipedia. Again: if I'm not wrong. :)

No, that sounds right.

Indeed here in Italy nominal household voltage was 220 volts up until few years
ago, and it still is: just now I have a 219 volts reading at the outlet, and I
live downtown in a quite big northern city (i.e. not countryside).

Sweden moved "officially" from 220V to 230V many years ago. Probably more than 20 years or so.

In everyday speaking even electricians still refer to 3-phase 400 volt power as
"three eighty" (lit. tre ottanta) i.e. the old 380 volt nominal voltage. :)

I sortof remember that too... :-)
(Well, the Swedish variant thereof...)

P.S. I think that the UK may still be on 240/415 actual voltage even if they
adhere to the European standards about the unified 230/400 delivery.

Yeah. As far as I can remember, they are officially with the 230V crowd, but the actual power at the outlet can vary. :-)