[HECnet] Number of nodes online a bit low?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Sun Jan 25 07:43:00 PST 2015

For others concerned about dwindling numbers of hosts, you'll be happy to hear that I am finally getting DSL installed after a 13 month wait!

It even comes with a static IP.

So some time in early March, I'll be powering up BEIRUT, the only HECnet node in the Middle East.

I _MIGHT_ even bring over an actual VAXstation 9000 to run it, but electricity here is even more expensive and delivered by two entities: The State (for 20 hours a day) and the local mobsters (the other 4 hours). I think an UPS is essential, there's a sort of 2-3 minute cut when they switch over.

It's not that bad really, some areas get as little as 4 hours / day, if any, from the state. The State + mobsters don't want to annoy the people in power so poor people get less electricity, rich areas like mine get the most.

Sampsa