[HECnet] VMS FTP server?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jan 8 12:21:41 PST 2015

On 2015-01-08 21:06, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm wrote:
On Thursday, January 08, 2015 at 10:44 AM. Johnny Billquist wrote:
Aha! That is really good information. Now I just wonder if it always tries this
trick, or only if the other side identifies itself as a VMS system. Could you do
the same test against a Unix system and see if it tries the STRU command
there too?

The binary blob is what I need to figure out next...

As of now, Text transfers to and from RSX works fine, and I've extended the
directory output a little. I'm wondering if I should bother trying to fool things
like web browsers next, as they also tries to be clever and tries to
understand a Unix-style directory output.

What I see is that the VMS FTP client sends the "STRU O VMS" command immediately after the connection is established (BEFORE the login is established).

Here is a conversation with a VMS (MultiNet) FTP client talking to a VMS (Multinet) FTP Server:

[...]

Even better. This I can work with, and I can do the same...
Actually, I'll be tricky and start with RSX, and if that fails, try VMS, on the client side. While the server should understand both.

Now I just need to figure out the binary blob. Could you capture one from a plain text file transfer for me? I think that should be enough.
(Actually, any file, as long as you can also provide me with what a DIR /FULL shows for the file.)

I have a very strong suspicion what is in there, I just want to verify it.