[HECnet] VMS FTP server?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jan 8 03:59:43 PST 2015

On 2015-01-08 11:34, Sampsa Laine wrote:

On 8 Jan 2015, at 12:17, John H. Reinhardt <johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com> wrote:

On 1/7/2015 9:23 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:

On 8 Jan 2015, at 04:03, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

Aha. Interesting output. That was sortof what I had a vague memory remembering it looking like. Now I need to decide if I want to do it similar.
Do people think file protection (for example) is useful to see? What about owner? I certainly have the information available, but I have not displayed it so far.

I would try to make it look as close to the *nix implementations, that way automated / GUI front-ends are more likely to work nicely with the server.

For example, I have a very nice GUI file transfer program called Transmit.app on OS X, but it REALLY gets confused when talking to VMS..

sampsa

I had the same problem with my Mac FTP utilities.   I tried Panic's Transmit, Yummy FTP and a couple others.   Yummy *almost* works except for file versions.   But I've been using Filezilla <https://filezilla-project.org/> now for a few months and it seems to work pretty well.   My biggest problem with it has been training it to recognize file types for automatic transfers (ASCII vs binary/image).   It has Mac, Windows and Linux versions.   I have V3.8.1   The latest is 3.10 but it won't work on my OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) system.

John H. Reinhardt

I pretty much gave up on this and now just use Kermit to move files back and forth when needed, I have a set of scripts that automatically log me in to all my systems with Kermit invoking the telnet or ssh connection - this way I can transfer a file at any given moment.

Now, wait a minute.
So you have problems with GUI ftp clients and servers. So you go for kermit for file transfers. Which means going command line.
If you go command line, what's wrong with command line ftp, which will work without the silly issues of GUI tools?
You can create scripts for ftp as well...

And ftp deals just as well with the different types of files as kermit do.