[HECnet] VMS FTP server?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jan 8 03:50:11 PST 2015

On 8 Jan 2015, at 09:39, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se
<mailto:bqt at softjar.se>> wrote:

I'm sure there must be a Kermit port for RSX-11 out there somewhere..

Of course. But Kermit isn't exactly efficient. Not to mention that you
cannot, on an RSX system, do kermit over telnet...

Johnny

My idea was to extend the RSX-11 kermit port to include access over
telnet rather than using FTP.

Urgh.... No, I don't think so. Kermit-11 is rather messy to start with, and there isn't much free memory. I've mucked in Kermit-11 in the past. It's a good enough tool if you have a serial line, but it's not what I'd use if I have some other alternative.

Just throwing this out there since FTP currently seems quite Unix-oriented..

It's not. However, I want to try and be a bit more general than just passing bits between two RSX systems. Which means I should consider those other types of systems as well, when it comes to non-text files.

As for graphic UI interfaces that talk ftp, and can't deal with non-Unix systems - I think I'm going to ignore them. It's as broken as sometimes using ftp in a web browser is (files from windows machines anyone?)