[HECnet] VMS FTP server?

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 02:17:21 PST 2015

On 1/7/2015 9:23 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:

On 8 Jan 2015, at 04:03, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

Aha. Interesting output. That was sortof what I had a vague memory remembering it looking like. Now I need to decide if I want to do it similar.
Do people think file protection (for example) is useful to see? What about owner? I certainly have the information available, but I have not displayed it so far.

I would try to make it look as close to the *nix implementations, that way automated / GUI front-ends are more likely to work nicely with the server.

For example, I have a very nice GUI file transfer program called Transmit.app on OS X, but it REALLY gets confused when talking to VMS..

sampsa

I had the same problem with my Mac FTP utilities.   I tried Panic's Transmit, Yummy FTP and a couple others.   Yummy *almost* works except for file versions.   But I've been using Filezilla <https://filezilla-project.org/> now for a few months and it seems to work pretty well.   My biggest problem with it has been training it to recognize file types for automatic transfers (ASCII vs binary/image).   It has Mac, Windows and Linux versions.   I have V3.8.1   The latest is 3.10 but it won't work on my OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) system.

John H. Reinhardt