[HECnet] VMS FTP server?

Wed Jan 7 18:23:40 PST 2015

The MultiNet FTP Server moves files between similarly capable FTP Clients and keeps the File Attributes consistent while copying data (i.e. You can simply ftp RMS Indexed files between VMS systems and the results will be immediately usable).

I know I read some manual about the DEC TCPIP package ftp server and client also managing this. It would, in fact, be nice to be compatible with that. However, atleast when storing or retreiving files from Unix systems, what DEC did is that they actually transfer two files. One with the data, and a separate one with the file metadata. Ugly, I think, and I would like to try and avoid that.
But that is a client only thing, as far as I can see. Anyone know how VMS does it if talking to another VMS system?
I suspect I might have a hard time if they do it by detecting that the remote server is a VMS system, since I will not lie about that. :-)

Ideally there would be an RFC describing this.   Is there?   Or another spec that spells out the protocol encoding for this magic?

	paul