[HECnet] VMS FTP server?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Wed Jan 7 18:19:34 PST 2015

On 8 Jan 2015, at 04:03, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

Thanks. (I doubt the VMS ftp server would care about NAT, it's not something the system behind a NAT knows or should care about. It's the NAT router who have to do all the work...)

IIRC unless the FTP server is working is "Passive Mode" port 21 is used just for control, and the server opens a random high-numbered port to which the client connects and the data is transferred over that - so that's where NAT'ing gets in the way.

I have no need for FTP on my boxes (I prefer Kermit) so haven't tried particularly hard to get around this problem.

sampsa