[HECnet] Hecnet Peering

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jan 2 16:48:18 PST 2015

On 2015-01-02 18:45, Hans Vlems wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "it scales better"   ?
Less bandwidth    load on the Internet line, in my case 12 Mb/s ADSL.
Or less load on th local decent hosts?
The first would persuade me, easily.

The first indeed. The way the bridge works is that every machine on any network connected to a bridge appears as if they are on the same ethernet segment. This means that any broadcast packet from any machine is sent to all bridges.
And every router at regular intervals sends broadcast packets. As do any LAT enabled host.
The bridge program tries to be smart and not send packets destined for a known host to bridges not involved in the direct path, but also all unknown destinations are sent everywhere. And there are protocol effects of having many routers on the same segment as well.

The Cisco tunnel on the other hand means you actually have two routers talking to each other over the internet, so only the specific messages between these two routers actually is the traffic. The only other traffic passing the link is actual traffic that needs to pass over the link.

	Johnny

Hans

Verzonden vanaf mijn BlackBerry 10-smartphone.