[HECnet] SG1 connectivity

Thu Mar 19 07:18:34 PDT 2015

On Mar 18, 2015, at 5:00 PM, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons <jg at jordi.guillaumes.name> wrote:

Now I'm a little bit lost. I think a node must be configured as an Area router to be able to route between two areas via the multinet link.

There are two reasons why a node may have to be an area router:

1. If it needs to have other nodes that are in a different area as neighbors
2. If you want to be able to see the area routing tables

But if your neighbor is in the same area as you, the whole network is reachable to any node type (endnode, L1 router, area router).   The L1 router doesn   t have a map of the areas, but instead it sends all out-of-area traffic to the    nearest L2 router        which is represented in the L1 routing data by the entry for address 0.

The datalink type is not a factor here; Multinet is no different from any other point to point link in this respect.

	paul