[HECnet] BRU tapes, extract on UNIX?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Mar 16 13:34:42 PDT 2015

On 2015-03-16 18:32, Clement T. Cole wrote:
Yes. It should be by easy to do,   although I thought Tom put the BRU
support code in there because I remember one the folks we worked
(Mital in Canada IIRC) used RSX somewhere and he had the deal with it
when then sent us tapes.   But may be it was not BRU.   I don't remember
as that worked started as I was leaving UCB and Tom had become the new
mr. 9-track and Thus I did not write that code (I did write the
original RT11 support with which he started).

I obviously don't know what Tom might have done. It's definitely
possible he did. But depending on when this was, it might have been
another format called DSC (Disk Save and Compress), which is what RSX
used up until V3.something. Which is, I think, almost mid-80s.

  My first 11/34 came with an RSX-11M v4.2 distribution tape, which had
been kicking around there for a couple of years already, in 1986, so I'd
assume 3.x was a bit earlier than mid-80s.

Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3