[HECnet] BRU tapes, extract on UNIX?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Mar 16 11:28:04 PDT 2015

On 2015-03-16 18:32, Clement T. Cole wrote:
Yes. It should be by easy to do,   although I thought Tom put the BRU support code in there because I remember one the folks we worked (Mital in Canada IIRC) used RSX somewhere and he had the deal with it when then sent us tapes.   But may be it was not BRU.   I don't remember as that worked started as I was leaving UCB and Tom had become the new mr. 9-track and Thus I did not write that code (I did write the original RT11 support with which he started).

I obviously don't know what Tom might have done. It's definitely possible he did. But depending on when this was, it might have been another format called DSC (Disk Save and Compress), which is what RSX used up until V3.something. Which is, I think, almost mid-80s.
BRU has been documented enough that it's not hard to write a program to extract the files from it, but it's is not totally trivial, as the files are somewhat scrambled in the saveset. I wrote a program to analyze and manipulate BRU tapes under Unix, to be able to repair tapes that had become corrupted (tape blocks scrambled).

When Tom took over   he wrote a whole new program because the CAD group had had to start to deal with VMS so much and my original ANSI reader for RT11 tapes was pretty lame.       When he was done, I'm pretty sure he could handle VMS save sets in his version because that what the CAD group @ DEC would use.   I remember that HP used some funky format from the HP3000 which I ended up decoding using dd and some shell scripts and when never used again as we got them to switch to tar.   IBM was always a different format (usually in EBCDIC).   I remember once getting an ANSI labeled tape from them but in EBCDIC and broke all our tools.   AT&T could also be funny.   Different groups there used different tools even within UNIX so I got pretty good handling strange formats since they often sent tapes in binary and had endianness mixed in to add to the confusion. At the time, I   became the go to person in Cory Hall (and often Evans folks would come to see me too) because I had spent time in a mainfra
e shop long before UCB and learned a lot of tricks and had a tool kit for same.

VMS backup savesets are totally incompatible with BRU savesets, though (sad). But I know I've seen Unix tools to read VMS tapes and savesets.

But both VMS and RSX use normal ANSI format tapes, so the first level of just getting to the savesets as such, is easy on Unix. Plenty of tools already exist to deal with ANSI labelled tapes.

	Johnny

Somewhere I have a script called mtaapita   - mag tapes are a pain in the ass - which I wrote to help pull the first few records apart and try to figure out how the tape was formatted.   As I said, I used to have a pretty good collection of mag tape tools but they are not online anymore ( undoubtedly on a 9-track Unix dump tape in my basement).

Sent from my iPad