[HECnet] BRU tapes, extract on UNIX?

Mon Mar 16 10:47:43 PDT 2015

On Mar 16, 2015, at 1:32 PM, Clement T. Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

... IBM was always a different format (usually in EBCDIC).   I remember once getting an ANSI labeled tape from them but in EBCDIC and broke all our tools.

I remember the    ANSI    format produced by OS/360.   It faintly resembled real ANSI labels, but the text was encoded in    8 bit ASCII   , an IBM invention that no one else ever used before or since.   I think they took regular 7 bit ASCII and moved the top bit up one     so, for example, A was encoded as 0x81 rather than 0x41 as in real ASCII.   After that discovery, I switched back to IBM    standard labels    (IBM proprietary, in EBCDIC), or more usually, unlabeled since IBM didn   t do useful label processing anyway.

	paul