[HECnet] Fwd: [Simh] Getting rsxs to run on the pdp11 emulator

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Tue Mar 3 15:15:57 PST 2015

I have been replying-to-sender instead of replying-to-list to some mails in this thread. :(

Inici del missatge reenviat:

Data: 3 de mar   de 2015 23:40:47 CET
De: Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>
Per a: simh at trailing-edge.com
Tema: Re: [Simh] Getting rsxs to run on the pdp11 emulator

On 2015-03-03 23:32, Al Kossow wrote:
the smaller bootable tape is for an rl02

RSXMPRL02

Ah! It's the RSX-11M-PLUS PREGEN system, I suspect.
For people who don't know. The RSX distribution tape holds several savesets.
RSX11MPBL87 is the standard baseline system.
MPBL87SRC holds the sources. (Normally installed during the initial sysgen)
Then comes a bunch of patches to layered products.
Final saveset is RSXMPRL02, which is a pregenned system for RL02. This is especially useful if your system disk is an RL02, as you do not have enough room to run a SYSGEN on that disk, but it also saves some space and speed, since you can basically install that and start using the system without any more work. It can be customized somewhat.

I have no idea what someone have gone to the effort of splitting the distribution tape up the way you people have found things.