[HECnet] Maximum number of L2 routers?

Jordi Guillaumes Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Sun Mar 1 15:42:09 PST 2015

El 01/03/15 a les 23:35, Paul_Koning at Dell.com ha escrit:
Interestingly enough, the DECnet network management architecture spec says the limit is 255. 33 is correct, actually; the reason is that an Ethernet router hello message contains a list of the other routers heard by this router, and the encoding of the packet limits the length of that list to 33 entries. paul
I was afraid the users of Johnny's bridge could be over that limit, since all the connected networks are -from DECNET point of view- part of the same ethernet (all the nodes are adjacent). I have taken a look at the HELLO messages I'm getting and I see just 10 routers, so we are still far away from the absolute limit, but just at the recommended maximum.