No subject

Tue Mar 31 11:32:25 PDT 2015

last PL/I compiler on Multics.   As for where EPL came from, I'm not
sure off the top of my head, although www.multicians.org would
probably hold the answer.

Freiburghouse built his compiler after he left Multics/Honeywell and
was the basis for most other non-IBM PL/I compilers.   It was developed
using techniques very different from those used with the Multics
compiler, although the intermediate language did share a lot.

      [...snip...]

Frankly, having lived that era, you will never convince me otherwise.
BLISS was cool, but for some marketing mistakes it would have beaten
C no doubt - although the syntax in hindsight was a mistake (and I
heard Wulf admits that - we all had a long chat about it in the late
1980s/early 1990s at Stellar and Bill was as "Jr Programmer" helping
with the code generator for the Stellar box).

I'm definitely in the BLISS camp, it is my favourite language.
Personally, I don't mind the syntax.   I appreciate the '.' operator.
The stuff I didn't like was thankfully weeded out with the development
of Common BLISS.   My only gripe is the way structures were handled.
I think something could have been done differently there.

Regards, Tim.