No subject

Tue Mar 31 11:32:25 PDT 2015

No, I don't remember winprinters. On the other hand, I have not really moved beyond RSX yet... :-)

With todays network gear, you will not get most packets to your machine
anyway, the switches are already doing the filtering for you, so
promiscuous mode don't hurt much from that point either.

    ...and this is the only thing that makes me more comfortable with the
idea.   The switch will just have more than one entry in its MAC table
for this port.

Right. Which is no different than if you cascade two switches. The switch is perfectly happy, and your machine will only get the packets you care about, and the random packet for a new machine, and the random packets that goes to no machine (which should be pretty close to zero).

    But I still don't like it. ;)

:-)