No subject

Tue Mar 31 11:32:25 PDT 2015

Circuit TCP-0-51, Adjacent node = 5.10 (MICRO1)

In this case it was node 51.10 but it's not unique to that machine - I've
seen the same problem from time to time on the other links as well.

It's always a transient problem; the link comes back up on its own in a
minute or so.   It seems to come in "clusters" - I'll get a whole bunch of
these errors logged one afternoon, and then everything will be stable for a
day. It's not always an "unexpected packet type" error; sometimes it'll just
be a "listener receive timeout" instead.

Given that Multinet uses UDP it almost looks like UDP packets are getting
lost or trashed sporadically.

So many people are running Multinet links now - does anybody else have
this problem?   Has anybody figured out the cause or a fix?

Hi Bob,

I've seen 17 of these on the link we've set up between us. The first one came
hours after we started and I thought it was might have been you doing
something at your end. Then there was a long interval before the next one and
those that followed. I've not seen any bunches (except on December 26th when
there were five of them, but even then they were well spread out). Maybe
that's because I've only got one Multinet circuit?

The latest one is included below. Time is GMT. I didn't notice any other
networking grief at the time.

I've also managed to provoke one of these when testing a Multinet link over
a local ethernet connection when I shut down the link.

I think someone said they had details of the protocol used? It might be
interesting to analyse the beginning of packet logged to see if it is just
noise or if it is close to being valid.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.

%%%%%%%%%%%   OPCOM     8-JAN-2012 21:02:15.65   %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user DECNET on CEIRE
DECnet event 4.18, adjacency down