[HECnet] emacs, was Re: installing LPs on RSX

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun May 3 07:41:51 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-01 20:12, Sampsa Laine wrote:
> Herp - I thought I was pressing Meta like on UNIX when in fact ESC seems to translate to Control.
>
> I wonder what the Meta key for UE on VMS is..

Well, to be accurate, Meta is neither control, nor ESC. However, most
versions and clones of Emacs accept ESC as a substitute for the (lack of
a) meta key.

Having ESC become a control prefix is really strange. I have never seen
any version do that. And the exact key bindings might also have been
modified in the version you are running, so it might not help to look
how things work elsewhere. But it's a good start...

	Johnny