[HECnet] BP2 v2.7 tape read

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun May 3 07:47:21 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-02 03:37, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 05/01/2015 09:01 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>>    I've read my BP2 v2.7 tape.  I did it on a UNIX system using Johnny's
>> tape tools, and I have it a a .TPC file.
>>
>>    The tape read cleanly, but again I do not know where this came
>> from...it has a handwritten label indicating that it's BP2 v2.7, but it
>> may have actually been written from the corrupted tape image in the
>> trailing-edge archive.  That archive has been around for long enough for
>> this to be a concern.
>>
>>    Is there anyone hanging out tonight who would like to assist me in
>> testing this?
>
>    Ok, nevermind.  Bad news.  The image I got from that tape is
> byte-for-byte identical to the corrupted tape image from the
> trailing-edge archive.
>
>    :-(

That is really sad. Oh well, it was worth a try.
As for the question on how to verity it. If you just hook it up to an
RSX system, mount it foreign, and do a "FLX <tape>:[*,*]/DO/DI", and
you'll either see something sane, or something crazy...

>    The C v1.2 image, though, is different.  I'll spend some time on that
> tonight.

No need. The PDP-11 C tape is a BRU tape image. My tool can repair it if
it is broken. In addition, I already have a good copy of that tape.