[HECnet] Phase III<--->Phase IV limitations?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue May 12 05:05:56 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-12 06:09, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I can't remember the limitations between a Phase IV and a Phase III node
> interacting...aside from the limited area and node numbers.
>
> Can Phase IV be used as a bridge to access Phase III nodes?

Yes. As long as the phase III nodes are in the same area.
It is pretty obvious and straight forward. Phase III nodes can talk to
III or IV nodes in the same area only, as they do not explicitly say
anything about the area. Ph IV routers will route III packets just fine
within an area. Obviously, a ph III node can only address nodes with
number < 256.