[HECnet] LEGATO?

Fred fcoffey at misernet.net
Mon Oct 12 10:06:29 PDT 2015

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015, Robert Armstrong wrote:

>  As it happens, I already have an Ubuntu server here that, among other
> things, runs exim4 and serves as a mail forwarder for all the other machines
> in the house.  It handles the TLS connection with my ISP's forwarder.

That would work.  I did not know you had Linux already running somewhere.

>  Why not just make the VAX forward to that machine?  'cause LEGATO isn't a

That would work.  That is essentially what MISER:: does - if you try to
send non-DECNET mail, it forwards it to another host on my network (the
main Linux box), which can speak the proper authentication and encryption
to my ISP's mail server.  In fact, that's what all hosts able to send mail
on my network do.

Then, the only thing needed is to configure your Linux machine to speak to
your ISP with the proper encryption and authentication.  I normally use
Postfix, but I am guessing configuration of exim is similar.

Fred