[HECnet] MONITOR DISK - Meaning of values

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Sep 16 07:01:13 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-16 14:04, Sampsa Laine wrote:

> On 16 Sep 2015, at 12:58, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-16 13:53, Sampsa Laine wrote:
>>> You're probably under a Chinese/Russian robot attack, trying to brute-force their way in.
>>
>> Quite possibly. Some day I should summarize and post logs of attempts at Madame.Update.UU.SE (RSX). It's quite funny. Fortunately, my RSX implementation is rather robust.
>>

>> I know how iptables and similar tools work. That is no help here.
>> This is a *VAX* running VMS. Not some simh instance...
>
> My bad, I assumed you were running SIMH, sorry.
>
> One solution is to set up a Linux box that drops say all packets from China and then uses socat to forward the ports you want to the actual VAX.

Which still requires that I would be sitting on an internal network with
a router I have control over, in which case, why would I use socat? This
setup would mean I have routing running on the Linux box, and I can
filter what is being routed more easily just directly on the box without
involving socat.

But this would also require that I have a separate network for this
setup. We're talking about a machine that are on the internet today...
On a well known, static ip address.