[HECnet] Layered products for OpenVMS

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 14:00:14 PDT 2016

On 8/3/2016 1:31 PM, Fred wrote:
> Afternoon all ...
>
> Is there a VMS layered product repository available on HECNET ?
>
> There was some discussion on c.o.v. about LSEDIT, and I'd to play around with that.  I emailed the OpenVMS Customer Lab about getting FTP access to layered products as a hobbyist, but they say since OpenVMS 8.3 is EOL, they won't provide the link.  I did not think layered products were version specific?  I suppose I could upgrade my DS10 to a more recent version, but that seems like a lot just to play with a layered product.
>
> Fred
>
> ---
> $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$MESSAGE (2928)
> %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels

Fred,
   They should give you the logon credentials if you let them know you're a Hobbyist (I just forwarded the email I got from them with the PAK info as proof).  The version of DECset on FTP should work with V8.3 so don't tell them you're behind.  Or tell them you need access to V8.4 so you can upgrade (even if you don't). ;)

John H. Reinhardt