[HECnet] Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Aug 26 05:31:22 PDT 2016

Time for a new release announcement of TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS.

There have been some improvements in reliability and stability done in
the last few months. Part of this is because MAGICA (the real PDP-11/70
that I use) have finally started coming alive again, and running on that
machine exposed some issues related to running out of primary pool
(nothing like running on slower, real hardware).

I seriously recommend that people upgrade, as some of these fixes are
fixing issues that could crash your system.

Things that have been done since the last release:

ARP:
- Bugfix in ARP processing. If system was running out of primary pool,
kernel structures could become corrupted.

IP:
- Bugfix in fragment reassembly. It could cause a system crash under
some circumstances.

TCP:
- Bugfix in daemon activation. If system was running out of primary
pool, data corruption in the kernel could happen under some circumstances.

DHCP:
- Improved option processing, added NTP server option handling, added
hostname option to requests. Generally improved stability of code.

Multinet:
- Improved stability and reliability of code.

FTP/FTPD:
- Improved file handling. In RSX mode, if the file to transfer was
readonly, the transfer would fail, as the file protection was applied to
the file before it had been completed.
- Added the ability to provide a port to connect to for FTP client.

TELNET:
- Turned off terminal wrap when running telnet.

TELNETD:
- Added the ability to listen on several ports.
- Fixed issues related to running on mP systems.

HTTPD:
- Changed timeout handling for sessions.

As usual, the distribution is available from:
ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.dsk
ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.tap
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/pdp11/rsx/tcpip/tcpip.dsk

The documentation is also available through ftp on Mim, or also at
http://mim.update.uu.se/tcpipdoc

As Mim is behind a firewall, which at the moment is blocking incoming
ftp and telnet (we are working on getting that removed again), an
alternative is to connect to Mim as Mim.Update.UU.SE:10021 (for ftp) and
Mim.Update.UU.SE:10023 (for telnet).
(Guess why the ability to listen to multiple ports for telnet, as well
as being able to give a port argument to ftp came about... ;-) )