[HECnet] Error when copying node names

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Aug 30 03:19:48 PDT 2016

Hi.

On 2016-08-30 11:42, Mark Wickens wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:09:18AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Looks like you have a definition for 6.52 as PIVAX2, while on MIM,
>> it's now JALAD. Not sure how well NCP on VMS deals with a node that
>> change name. Might also be that you have a JALAD already, at some
>> other address. Cleaning up your local nodename database first, and
>> then copy should solve it, I suspect...
>>
>> (Yes, people sometimes contact me with changes that redefine
>> existing nodes.)
>
> Yes, that has worked - cleared down the existing and then reloaded.
>
> I don't recall seeing this before, so renames must be fairly rare.

It might be that you only get this problem if the a new node with the
same name as an existing one exists, and the new node have a lower
number, since that will then be defined before the old one is deleted,
so for a short while you would get two nodes with the same name but
different numbers. But it might also be more complicated than that.

But yes, renames are not that common. But if it was just a rename to a
new, non-existing name, I don't think you'd get any problems.